|126 North 15th Street
Sebring, Ohio 44672
|Mansions and Homes of Sebring
|The Sebring Parents'
|The elder Sebring's, George E. and Elizabeth A. Larkins Sebring, Sr., came
to the new town with their children. Their first home was the former farm
home of Stephen and Lizzie Gray, on what is now West Ohio avenue. They
resided there until their children built a new home for them. This lovely new
home stood on the southeast corner of West Ohio avenue and Sixteenth
street. Today, the Sebring Public Library is located on the site.
|Oliver H. Sebring Mansion
The Oliver H. Sebring Mansion was considered the
largest and the grandest of the homes in Sebring.
The residence was designed by architect Jacob
Myers. It was located on the southwest corner of
West Ohio avenue and 17th street. The home had
thirty rooms and seven bathrooms. The cost to build
this home in 1901 was about $75,000. Beautiful
landscaping with large urns and hedges
complimented this wonderful estate. Just prior to
his death on July 24, 1929, Oliver remodeled the
house. The home was virtually gutted and many
changes were made. A large sun room was added
over the front porch for Mrs. Sebring's canaries.
The total cost of the remodeling was $200,000.
Fourteen years later, in 1943, the history and
grandeur of this home was swept away in a few
hours. During Thanksgiving evening dinner, fire
broke out and spread rapidly to the attic where the
wood burned down inside the brick veneer shell.
The house was torn down shortly after.
|George E. Sebring Mansion
The George E. Sebring Mansion was the first of the
Sebring homes to be built in the village. Construction
began in the fall of 1898. The home was located on the
northwest corner of Ohio avenue and 16th street. The cost
of construction was estimated to be between $8,000 and
$10,000. George Sebring was the first insurance agent in
Sebring, and along with his son, H. Orville, also operated
Sebring Real Estate. He was responsible for bringing the
Strong Enamel Company from Bellaire, Ohio. In 1911, he
founded Sebring, Florida, sold the George E. Sebring
Mansion to his nephew, Charles Leigh Sebring, and lived
out the rest of his life in Sebring, Florida. Charles
became sales manager of Edwin Knowles China Company
of Newell, West Virginia. After he moved to West
Virginia, the home was purchased by W. V. Oliver. In
1934, 'Vern' Oliver was responsible for organizing the
French Saxon China Company. The Oliver Family
remained in the house until Mrs. Oliver's death. In the
1970's the house was torn down. It is now the site of the
C.L. Manor Senior Housing.
|Frank A. Sebring Mansion
Before the residence at Ohio and 18th street was built, Frank A. Sebring
lived in a home on the corner of West Ohio between 15th and 16th streets.
Built in 1900, it was the second Sebring family residence built. It took about
five years to complete. Frank saw during travels to Italy a mansion he
wanted. He sent craftsmen measure the home, purchase the building
materials and had them sent to Sebring, Ohio to be built.
The Frank A. Sebring residence was the last of the Sebring family's mansions
to be built. Designed by Rawsthorne of Pittsburgh and completed in 1902,
the home was built of Italian glazed bricks. It is located on the southeast
corner of Ohio Avenue and 18th street. It featured 30 rooms, five bathrooms
and six fireplaces. President William McKinley spent several nights as a
guest in the home over the years as Frank was a main financial contributor to
his campaigns. He owned the home until 1936. Frank was the founder of the
Sebring Pottery Company and the Limoges China Company. He was also
associated with the Salem China Company, Owen China of Minerva and the
Bradshaw Company of Niles. Charles L. Sebring purchased the home from
his uncle. He moved the Niles plant to Alliance and operated it under the
name Leigh Pottery Company. Owned by the Holt family, and in 1970, the
home was owned by Mr. and Mrs Thomas Burkhart, the seventh family to
own the home. The Frank A. Sebring Mansion is on the National Register of
Historic Places. Through the efforts of Mrs. J. Lynn Biery, it is undergoing
major restoration to create a country inn. The home will come alive again
and will be preserved for future generations.
|Fredrick E. Sebring Mansion
The Fred E. Sebring Mansion is located at 438 North 15th street. Fred was the
only brother who did not build on West Ohio avenue. Fred was head of the
Limoges China Company and founded the Saxon China Company. This home is
very similar to the Will Sebring residence with similar architectural details. Fred
died suddenly on December 13, 1925, of a heart attack. He had just returned from
a trip to Sebring, Florida. The home was purchased by Druggist Lewis A. Bandy
and remained his residence until his death in the 1940's. After being occupied by
other Sebring families, (H.C. Johnston, George Cardinal, Jr., John Clisbe), the
home was restored by John and Sue Risbeck in the late 1980's and early 1990's.
|William Henry Sebring Mansion
256 West Ohio Avenue
Will H. Sebring built this house in 1901. It was located at 256 West Ohio
avenue, and is currently the location of Dean's Funeral Home. Will was
treasurer of the Sebring Pottery Company, Limoges China Company and the
Sebring Land Company. His death occurred tragically on Friday,
December 9, 1904. According to an article in the paper, hard of hearing,
he was walking across the railroad tracks when he was struck by
Pennsylvania Railroad Engine No. 15, a west bound express that was going
approximately 70 miles per hour. He passed away within a few hours of
multiple injuries at the age of 35. He left a wife and two children.
|Ellsworth H. Sebring Mansion
Ellsworth was the last survivor of the eight Sebring brothers. This home was
designed by architect Jacob Myers. He, his wife and seven children lived
informally in the home. Tony and Clara Palermo bought the site after the home
burnt down. After demolishing the house, they laid out the lots for the construction
of the homes of Brian Moore, Tod and Becky Brunie, and Tony and Cindy
Christani, whose home was nicknamed the Storybook House. It is said that this
home contains construction items which Palermo rescued from the O.H.amd E.H.
|Willard I. and Helen Sebring Gahris
The stucco home has a sense of elegance and grandeur.
Mrs. Gahris was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank A.
Sebring. Helen Gahris was a noted socialite and hostess.
Unfortunately, her love for parties and hosting brought about
her demise. She and several other area persons died as a
result of food poisoning. Tainted olives, which she
purchased from an Alliance market and served at a coming
home party for WWI veterans caused the deaths. She was
also a noted golfer at a time when it was a rare thing to see
a woman on a golf course. Willard and Helen had one
daughter, Gretchen who married J. Harrison Keller and
lived in the home for a number of years. There are three
fireplaces, six bathrooms four bedrooms in the home. An
addition of a library made out of a side porch was added by
Gretchen and Harrison Keller. Owners Ed and Janet
Slusser have added a new kitchen. This home is currently
|James and Emma (Sebring)
Mrs. Barclay was the daughter of
George and Elizabeth Sebring Sr.
Her first husband, Charles
Albright, was killed in October
1910 was killed with three others
when their car was struck by a
streetcar. He was manager of the
Limoges China Company.
Located on the southeast corner of West Ohio and North 17th Street, was built on
the former site of the O.H. Sebring home. Palermo owned the Sebring
Construction Company, and the Sebring Coal Mine. He built the home in the
1940-50's. In 1941, he also purchased the land on West Ohio Avenue, between N.
18th and 19th Streets where the former E.H. Sebring residence stood.
|W.L. Murphy home
The home was enlarged in the 1920's to look as it stands today. Other owners of
the home include the Marlin Watkins family and the Paul Schreckengost family.
Currently owned by Henry Demuth.
|Roderick Branfield says: the house used to be
john b briggs my grandfather corner of 18th
and west ohio avenue 396 west ohio avenue
to be exact.
|Whose house is this?
|Whose house is this?
|Whose house is this. It is not Fred's.
|Whose house is this?
Sebring's first postmaster, taken about 1906. Sitting in front are
Ruth Norris Robins, Bill Norris,
Frank N. Norris
|Corner of N. 15th and Maryland Avenue
|5 room house listed for $400
|10 room home listed for $240
|Ladies' Boarding Hall
|C. J. Albright
|E. M. Stanley, Railroad Agent