|Alliance until the pastor, Father James Farrell, began using Sebring Town Hall as a
mission site. For about 75 people, it was Father Francis Hopp, also of St. Joseph
Parish, who celebrated the first Mass in Sebring, on March 18, 1908. After several
months, St. Ann Parish was established in a former butcher shop on Seventeenth
Street. Father George Schoenemann (1908-1909) was the first resident pastor at St.
Ann. Father Anthony Dean spent part of 1909 here as well.
Father Thomas Hanrahan (1909-1913) rallied parishioners to tear down the old
church and build a new, wood one on St. Ann’s present site on South Fifteenth Street.
Father Joseph A. Powers (1913-1934) served more than 20 years at St. Ann and
oversaw construction of the parish house that remains in use today. The first couple
to be married in the church was Thomas M. and Mary Maley Woods. Under the
guidance of Father Victor Studer (1930-1934), parish membership grew, a
remodeling project was completed and a bell tower was added to the church.
Father J. Ferris Petros (1944-1960) oversaw major renovations, during his years,
the old church building was moved to make room for the present church.
Construction was completed in 1960, the year Father Petros died. His funeral was
held in the old wooden church and was the last Mass to be offered in that building.
|Sebring United Methodist Church
|The first Methodist Church services were held in September 1899. A.E. Albright
was instrumental in having Rev. Armstrong of East Palestine and Dr. G. B. Smith of
the Canton district here for a meeting. A congregation of 200 were seated in Gray's
old barn. Mayor Albright filled the position of pastor for a year. Albright organized
a Sunday school in May 1900. Helped by support of the Sebring brothers, a building
committee was formed. At a cost of $20,000, it was dedicated on February 27,
1901. The first wedding was for Miss Pearl Sebring, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. O.H.
Sebring and Homer Taylor. The church held 600. Fire destroyed the Methodist
Church in March, 1955. It was immediately rebuilt on the same site. Bishop Kearns
retired from the active episcopacy in 1976. He then became Visiting Professor at the
Methodist Theological School in Ohio. In 1988 he and Alice moved to Copeland
Oaks, a retirement complex in Sebring, Ohio related to the United Methodist Church.
|First Presbyterian Church
First services were held at the end of 1900 in the YMCA building,
corner of Oregon avenue and 15th street. Approximately 35 charter
members requested the Presbytery to establish the church. Once the
request was granted, a contract was given th F.D. Shewell to erect a
building on two lots donated by the Sebring Land company. The cost of
the building was $2,497. It had a furnace, carpet and electric lights, as
well as auditorium style chairs. It was dedicated November 23, 1902.
At the close of WWI, and in the early '30's new lighting was installed.
On April 28, 1946, a re-dedication was held to celebrate a major
remodeling of the sanctuary and memorial gifts of a two-manual organ
and a set of chimes. The church also received a new kitchen. At the
time of the 50th anniversary, there were 360 active members and a
church school membership of 135.
In 1955, an educational building was added to the existing church
building. Also included are a fellowship hall, kitchen, a large lounge
furnished by the Women's Association, a nursery, church office and
In March, 1965, a new church building was dedicated. This building
includes a beautiful sanctuary with a seating capacity of 325,
classrooms, a choir room, and a chapel.
Due to a loss of membership, in June, 1974 it was decided to merge
with the Faith United Presbyterian Church to form the Sebring United
|Faith United Presbyterian
On April 30, 1900, a meeting of the Cleveland
Presbytery developed the groundwork for the
Sebring congregation. On October 31, 1902,
the Sebring Mission was organized with 22
members. Services were first held in a sheep
barn, then above Jones' Barber Shop. The
new building was built in 1902 for about
$4,500. Additions were made, and a
parsonage was built in 1915. By 1952, 190
names were on the church roll.
The Faith congregation merged with the
Sebring First Presbyterian congregation and
became Sebring United Presbyterian Church in
|Sebring Church of Christ
Began as a prayer meeting in the home of Mr. and Mrs J. M. Horton. A local church
was organized January 29, 1902 with 42 members. They met as the Church of Christ
in the Pythian temple on North 15th street until they built on the northeast corner of
17th and Maryland on a lot donated by the Sebring Land Company, on September 18,
1904. By 1924, the membership had expanded and the new church was dedicated May
22, 1927. Building converted to a Civic Center in the 1990's and eventually torn
down. The church was moved to Pine Lake Road and named Pine Lake Church of
Christ, and later, Pine Lake Christian Church.
|Trinity Lutheran Church
Members of the Alliance St. Paul's Lutheran church called the attention of the Synod
to Sebring as a possible field in October, 1912. The first service was held in the
city hall on Sunday, March 30. The Sunday school was began April 13, 1915. The
congregation was organized at the home of F. A. Henry with 24 charter members. In
1914 two lots for the church building and the parsonage to be built. Dedication was
held on Sunday May 23, 1915. Current membership.
|Church of the Nazarene
The present church organization was effected February 27, 1928. 43 charter members
composed the communicants of the church in the former Church of Christ building. By
1949, membership was over 200. Joanne Brotherton and husband Charles Hinga
were the first couple to be married in the new building of the Nazarene Church - June
Bandy Friends Church, Virginia Avenue Church of Christ
|Sebring Holiness Camp
While maintaining the best values of the holiness camp meeting, Sebring Camp seeks
to relate to the needs of our day.
It is located on a beautiful grove known as 'Quaker Hill'. George Sebring was the
owner of the grove and Evangelist Dick Albright, the first mayor of Sebring. George
Sebring gave the grove of 19 acres to create the camp. The first camp was held
under a canvas tent July 1905 with 85 seekers. The following year saw 250. By its
45th year, it had two tabernacles, 27 cottages, three dormitories, and a dining hall. It
is located off Johnson Road. Its work is interdenominational and various churches
including the Nazarenes and Friends rent the grounds for evangelistic services.
The cottages are owned by residents of Sebring who rent them on occasions.
|126 North 15th Street
Sebring, Ohio 44672
|Is your Church group missing? Contact me
|Quaker Hill Friends Meeting House
Long before Sebring existed, a small group of Quakers settled near
Sebring in the Maple Ridge School area and developed the land for
farming. On a nearby hill, the farmers built a small frame worship
building, the Friends Meeting House. It was a two acres lot on the
northwest corner of section 34 in Smith Township, now in Mahoning
County. The area soon became known as 'Quaker Hill' The Meeting
House was originally built in the fall of 1829, as a log building, which
burned in 1845, ans was rebuilt in 1849. A school was maintained in the
same building, beginning in 1830 in charge of Hannah Courtney in
summer and Nathan Heacock in winter. Land around the meeting house
was set aside for a cemetery and Hannah Trago's was the first grave in
In the autumn of 1836 a school house was built by direction of the public
school law of Ohio, where the present school or Friends Church now
stands. The meeting thus established was known as West Preparative
meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, sometimes called Hicksites,
and later Quakers. They depended on no minister to call the congregation
together, nor any music to cheer the solemn assembly. They met in
silence and equality to receive the celestial light in the soul and learn and
practice good will toward men. In this quiet way the meeting prospered
for many years. Enos Heacock served as minister and took a leading part
in the work of the church until 1900. The building still stands today with
the Quaker Burial Ground nearby.
|Churches of Sebring, Ohio
|Dan Shannon Tabernacle
Located on the northeast corner of West Ohio Avenue and North 15th Street,
The tabernacle was a major stop of evangelism. Hundreds of people from
the area gathered here.
|On June 30, 1974 Sebring Presbyterian
Church was formed from the union of Faith
and First Churches. By 2002, there were
over 300 members.